Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Same Time Next Year

Over the weekend, I was listening to an interview with author Delia Ephron.  She made an off-hand comment about how "no one makes tune-noodle casserole anymore."  At that very moment, I was cooking tuna-noodle casserole.  Sure, it is a dish out of the 1970s, and I have modified the recipe to make it tastier and healthier, but I love the stuff even if no one else eats it anymore.

Which got me thinking about food fashion.  I am not talking about weight-loss diets or restaurant fads, but the food we eat at home on a regular basis.  Some things will change based on changing notions of health - remember when eating liver was considered very healthy?  But even if you factor in that element, what we eat changes over time.  Why is that?

I am sure some of it has to do with the availability of ingredients, and the influence of immigrant groups, and changing lifestyles.  But beyond that, do people change what they want to eat?  I have made a decision to not eat meat, so of course my diet will be significantly different than it was even a year ago.  Will my vegetarian diet change in ten years?  Do taste buds change over time?  Will I like the same foods next year?

Will eating differently cause me to want to eat differently?

Is my tongue changing?

Now I made myself nervous.  I have to go spend some time staring in the mirror to make sure my tongue has not changed.  I'll let you know.



No comments:

Post a Comment