Friday, August 1, 2014

Happy Meal

Last weekend, I joined my mother on one of those senior outings - a whole bunch of the AARP crowd get on a coach bus to somewhere.  This was a day trip to the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia.  We rode the bus, went to lunch, visited the museum and rode home on the bus.  It was a great day.

This was my first experience with a fixed lunch since I stopped eating meat.  I called the planning office ahead of time to ask about a vegetarian option.  "No problem," she told me, "just tell the server when you get there."  I don't know why I was nervous about it.  I did not want to make a fuss and I hate drawing attention to myself.  I just had to trust that it would be no problem.

And you know what?  It was no problem.  When the waitress came around for the drink orders, I asked her about it.  "Oh yes, we have eggplant for you."  It was an Italian restaurant.  While everyone else had their chicken and pasta, my spaghetti was served with some delicious eggplant.  My mother tasted the eggplant and said it was much better than her lunch.  "Maybe I should go vegetarian with you," my mother said, "you get better food."


No comments:

Post a Comment