Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Stop in the Name of the Vegetable Police

Earlier this month, the family took a trip to Maine.  I was really looking forward to eating some fresh lobster.

"My goal for this trip is to have a lobster roll every day," I told Sarah.
"That doesn't sound very vegetarian, Mom," Sarah answered.
"True," I said, "but I don't think the vegetarian police are going to come after me."
"Maybe they will," Sarah laughed.

I realized the source of my discomfort with the whole vegetarian thing.  It is not asking other people to make adjustments for me or missing certain foods, it is the label!  Who gets to decide what "vegetarian" means?  Who gets to tell me what I can and cannot eat?  And why do I need rules?

I care deeply about the environment and that is my motivation for giving up meat.  Meat production requires an incredible amount of resources and I want to take even the tiniest steps that I can.  I want to make sustainable choices when it comes to food.  I need to do more research so I can make better decisions, but in the meantime I have to get rid of the guilt!

Lobster, thankfully, is very sustainable, and very delicious.

Editor's Note:  I have been a bad blogger this summer.  No excuses, just an apology.  Rededicated to write more frequently!

No comments:

Post a Comment