Thursday, July 10, 2014

Rooty-Tooty, Don't Want No Fruity

At this time of year, I am usually swimming in fruit.  I don't mean like a human sangria (though that has some appeal).  Here in the Northeast, we wait all year for July so we can enjoy berries and melons and stone fruit that actually have some flavor.  In my refrigerator right now, I have blueberries, strawberries, watermelon and cherries.  And I have no interest in eating any of it.

In summers past, I would want to start my day with yogurt topped with peaches and granola.  I would love to have a big slice of watermelon as dessert for lunch.  A perfect afternoon snack would be a bowl of strawberries with a bit of extra-fine sugar.  This year, the fruit just sits there, staring at me, pleading with me just to try one bite.

All I want lately is savory and salty.  I crave chips, not cookies, which for me is absolute heresy.  I want a veggie omelet for breakfast and cheese for lunch.  My favorite snack right now is toast with butter.  Sure I want carbs, that is nothing new, but not anything sweet.  I have not touched the containers of ice cream in my freezer for days.  I am beginning to worry that I have been kidnapped by the pod people.

I don't know if the change in cravings has to do with not eating meat.  Maybe it has to do with getting older.  I am still craving hot dogs (salty and fatty!) and the amount of food I am eating is hardly ebbing. At least my family is not on a fruit strike so that whole watermelon I bought will not go to waste.  I want to want a peach!

No comments:

Post a Comment