Thursday, July 24, 2014

Same Time Next Year

Every summer, Sarah and I spend a day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  We started this several years ago with the idea that by the time she was grown, we would have seen everything there is to see at the museum.  Only problem - every time we go, we end up at the same exhibits.  We take pictures at the Temple of Dendur, visit Edgar Degas' statue "The Little Dancer of Fourteen Years," walk through the period rooms, tell the story of the scandalous "Madame X" by Sargent, make a quick stop in musical instruments before hitting the gift shop.  We even have the same lunch - we share a soup, sandwich, fruit cup and soda at the American Wing Cafe.

We have a great day every year.  We laugh a lot and thoroughly enjoy the art we are seeing.  Maybe we even enjoy it more now because it is familiar.  I know there are whole worlds we have not touched - we have never even walked through the art of Oceania and I don't know where to find the photography section - but that does not diminish our enjoyment of the experience.

What does this have to do with food?  Everything.

Like most people, I stick to food I know.  I tend to cook the same things over and over again.  Even though I have stopped cooking meat, I have quickly replaced those dishes with others that I make a lot.  I want to be more adventurous, and I know there must be so much more out there that I don't know about, but I like what I am doing right now.  If I am enjoying what I am eating, does it matter that there could possibly be other things out there?  Should the specter of possibilities diminish my joy of the familiar?

No comments:

Post a Comment