Wednesday, November 26, 2014

No Substitutions, No Refunds

I have been trying to vary my protein sources, so I have been trying different versions of the meatless meatball.  The name is terrible.  Calling it a "meatless meatball" just makes it unappealing before I even taste it.

I hate the idea of substitutions for meat.  I want to enjoy any food on its own merits, not as a replacement for something I can't eat.  I don't think of veggie burgers as a substitute for hamburgers.  Nothing can replace the perfect burger, and I like veggie burgers just as they are.  I don't think of beans or eggs or eggplant and some sort of poor relation to meat.  These foods are delicious and wonderful in their own rights.

So, the meatless meatballs.  I have tried soy-based, rice-based, tofu-based and vegetable based versions, and so far they have all tasted awful.  I am wondering if it is the name creating expectations.  I need to find different ways of preparing these little nuggets unrelated to how I would use real meatballs.

And I need to call them something else, though "veggie balls" just sounds dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment