Friday, June 13, 2014

Saving My Bacon

Sarah attended an after-school cooking class this afternoon.  It was hosted by one of the staff at her school and it was a special event for just a few students.  Sarah loves to cook so she was very excited when her friend invited her to come along.

At pick-up, Sarah carried a big metal bowl and several items wrapped in plastic and aluminum foil.  "I got a lot of the leftovers," she shrugged.  It seemed the other girls were not as enthusiastic as she had been about what they had cooked.

One of the things they made was a Bavarian-style potato salad.  I don't know what Bavarian-style means, but it looked good, so I asked Sarah if she minded if I took a taste.  "I'm stuffed.  Have anything you want."

I unwrapped the bowl, got a fork, scooped a potato and was about to take a bite, when Sarah screamed, "Don't eat that!!!"

I jumped, dropped the fork and smacked my hip against the counter.  "What is wrong with you?"  I yelled back.

"I forgot.  It has bacon in it," she answered sheepishly.

I gave her a hug and told her it would have been okay if I had one bite of bacon by mistake.  Please don't ever scream at me when I am wielding a fork, I reminded her.  Sure, I did not eat the meat, but I am surprised I did not poke my eye out, and which would be worse?

No comments:

Post a Comment