Wednesday, October 1, 2014

How 'Bout Them Apples

Fall, autumn, autumn, fall - a season so nice, they named it twice.  Everyone is all excited about pumpkin flavored things, but to me, the taste of fall will always be apple.

Is there any fruit more associated with myth and superstition?  The forbidden fruit, an apple for the teacher, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.  And is that new phone you bought named after a persimmon?

Growing up, apples meant red delicious, with an occasional golden thrown in.  Red delicious are fine, but they can get mealy (is that a real word?) and nothing feels worse in your mouth than biting into an apple and feeling like you are eating mushy sand.  I mostly eat gala apples now.  This season, I am trying to expand my horizons.  So far, I have sampled fuji and honeycrisp (both delicious, and by delicious I mean tastes good; they are nothing like red delicious.  Oh, you know what I mean).  I don't want to anything fancy.  I don't need to make a pie or cook up apple sauce.  I don't even want to cut it up.  Just give me a whole apple and a napkin and I'm good.

Want to know everything about apples?  Check out the U.S. Apple Association website.  Yes, there really is such a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment