Wednesday, October 22, 2014

New Order

In an effort to shake things up, I have been trying lots of new recipes.  I have gotten all my fall issues of my cooking magazines.  Lots of seasonal ingredients, lots of warm, cozy foods for the colder weather.  Only problem - once I finish cooking, I don't want to eat any of it.

I tried a "taste of autumn soup."  It involved roasted apples, carrots, parsnips and sweet potatoes and then blending them all into a bisque.  Sounds great right?  Only problem - I don't like sweet potatoes or parsnips.  Why would I want a soup that has those flavors?  I made a new variation on vegetarian chili.  But I really like the recipe I used last year for vegetarian chili and this one was much too spicy.  I don't know what I thinking when I picked out butternut squash panzanella.  I'm not a fan of butternut squash!  I hate all the effort in cutting and cooking it, not to mention it tastes like soap to me.

In my attempts to keep things interesting, I am forgetting the most basic fact - I am cooking a meal to eat.  Sure we need variety in our meals, and it is always a good idea to try new things.  But there is nothing wrong with sticking to a few familiar choices.  Familiar is not bad; comfort food is comforting because you know what to expect.  I don't need to try every exotic ingredient or fad flavor.  Concentrate on what we like and keep it nutritious.  Don't be afraid of new recipes but don't expect to get a new tongue.

Tonight?  Pasta and beans.  Everyone likes that.

No comments:

Post a Comment