Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween!

www.pillsbury.com

Since when does Halloween require a special meal?  If you look at any magazine or (God forbid) Pinterest, you will see slew of Halloween meal ideas.  Ghost grilled cheese, spider pizzas, monster mash.  Friends have posted pictures on Facebook of all the amazing Halloween meals they have created.  Why are we working so hard on a meal no one wants to eat anyway?  The kids would rather make a meal of Halloween candy, with a few granola bars or bags of pretzels thrown in for variety, and the adults just want to go to bed.  

I never made a special dinner for Halloween.  It was always what I could manage between getting Sarah ready for trick-or-treating and answering the door.  A favorite is a bowl of soup after walking the neighborhood - it gets cold out there!  I have serve eggs a couple of times, and leftovers.  Sarah asked for mummy dogs once - hot dogs wrapped in strips of dough like a mummy.  I made her help me so that was the last time she asked.  Those things take forever to wrap!

I compromised this year.  I made sweet potato black bean chili (which I don't even like, but that is another story).  It is orange and black, and it is warm, and best of all it is already made and easy to warm up whenever anyone gets hungry.  

Of course, they may just raid the candy bowl instead.   I won't know because I am going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment