Tuesday, October 14, 2014

O Canada - Happy Thanksgiving!

The second Monday in October may be Columbus Day to us, but in Canada, it is Thanksgiving.  From what I understand, Thanksgiving in Canada is a lot like Thanksgiving in the United States - get stuck in traffic, eat so much you feel sick and spend so much time with your family that you hate them.  The menu is even similar - turkey, pumpkin everything, au gratin as much as possible.

Other than maple syrup and Tim Horton's, I know nothing about Canadian food.  Is there even such a thing?  I am a big fan of the theme meal, so I thought I could make a little something Canadian for dinner yesterday.  I did some research.

And discovered poutine.

Never heard of it?  French fries, brown gravy and cheese curds.  To be good, the cheese curds have to squeak.  I am frightened by food that squeaks.  This is not the same things as cheese fries, not only because of the gravy, but because melty, shredded cheese is some sort of sacrilege to good poutine.

But then again, poutine sounds like some kind of sacrilege to good eating.

Supposedly, the saying goes that the best time to eat poutine is at 3:00 am, which I can understand.  It sounds like something that would taste delicious after a night of being out way too late.

I think I will stick to syrup and those doughnuts with the maple leaf shaped sprinkles.



No comments:

Post a Comment