Friday, January 24, 2014

Just a Little on the Side

I served a Tex-Mex rice bowl for dinner last night - rice, beans, lots of vegetables and some good spices.  I thought it tasted pretty good, but no one one said anything while they ate.

"What do you think?" I asked.
"It's okay," my daughter answered.  "It needs something."
"It's fine," my husband said.  "It just seems like a side dish; like it should be on the plate with some chicken."
Sarah got excited.  "Yeah, this needs some chicken.  And lime juice."

I have been making a lot of "bowl" food lately - soups, stews, casseroles.  Part of it is the weather (so cold!) but part of it is my lack of creativity.  I don't know how to put together a full plate that will resemble the meat-starch-vegetable plates that we know so well.  I have been hitting the cookbooks and websites, but fake meatballs just don't interest me.

In the meantime, we are having soup tonight.  I am adding fancy grilled cheese sandwiches so we can use some plates.




No comments:

Post a Comment