Thursday, January 30, 2014

People Who Need People

I checked out a whole stack of vegetarian cookbooks from the library yesterday.  As the librarian scanned the books, she asked, "Who is the vegetarian?"

"I am," I answered definitively.  Yeah, that did not last.  "Well, sort of.  I'm trying.  Seeing what works."  My voice trailed off.  Ugh, I sound like a kid trying to explain being late for curfew.

"I've been a vegetarian all my life," the librarian said and smiled.  "My kids, though, you know kids.  They do what they want."

I really wanted to start asking questions.  All your life?  What do eat every night for dinner?  How do you handle parties? What do you do when you go over to someone house?  Don't you get tired of all the thinking about food?

Instead, I made some nonsensical comment about kids and parents, and took my books and left.

I realize I need people.  Books and websites only get you so far.  I need to talk to real people about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment