Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hockey Puck Filled With Mud

I tried Mark Bittman's recipe for Now and Later Vegan Burgers.  The recipe seemed simple enough - a bunch of vegetables mixed with some beans shaped into patties cooked in a skillet.  We like sandwiches and if you add enough ketchup to anything it will work, right?

I should have known I was in trouble by the mess in the kitchen.  The recipe required so many steps and bowls and tools.  I chopped, shredded, drained, mixed and pureed.  Sarah asked me if I was okay.  Matt offered to help.  I threw them out of the kitchen.  After one too many clanging pans, even Lucy ran away, her fear overwhelming her desire for floor crumbs.  Finally I had a patty to put in the pan that looked about as appetizing as mud.  Oh well, it will be better once it is cooked, I reasoned.

How can you tell when a veggie burger is cooked?  There is no guide, like slightly-pink-for-medium.  When these were cooked, they looked like hockey pucks.  They had a blackened, plastic like exterior.  I buried them in their buns, topped them with lettuce, tomato and a more than healthy dose of ketchup, and presented them with a flourish.

That first bite - one I broke through the, ahem, crisp outer layer, I was met with ooze.  It was not like the satisfying crunch of the candy coating of an M&M or the crackle as you break the sugar on a flan.  No, this was like biting a piece of birthday cake and finding a hunk of candle wax in your mouth.

"Maybe it needs more ketchup," Sarah suggested.



No comments:

Post a Comment