Thursday, February 27, 2014

Onion Takeover


Right now, first thing in the morning, I smell onions.  I am not eating onions or cooking onions, but I still smell them.  There is no food anywhere near me, but the smell persists.  It isn't my breath. (Really, it isn't.  Okay, pass the mints.)  I am as far from the kitchen as I can be in my house, and I still smell onion.  The onions have taken over.

I have been cooking a lot of stews and soups.  The recipes always start with a sauteed onion.  Once the food is done cooking, some other smell takes over - the spice or the tomato.  I clean up the kitchen, change my clothes, even shower.  Yet, I can still smell cooked onion every where I go.  I don't know whether the smell has gotten into my skin or into my nose or just all around the house so everything in it just smells.

I am going to start wearing a sign: Warning - Being near me may cause and uncontrollable craving for onion rings.  Don't worry, I'll cook them.  No, I don't mind the smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment