Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pancakes for Everyone!


I worried that going vegetarian would force me to change a lot of the traditions my family keeps involving food.  Today is one that does not need to change at all - National Pancake Day!  The story goes that prior to the dietary restrictions imposed during Lent, Catholics would use up the eggs, butter and milk that had on hand for pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.  I don't know if this is true, but I do know that we always have pancakes for dinner on the day before Ash Wednesday.

When I was little, I thought breakfast for dinner was such a treat.  We were breaking the rules!  We were being food rebels!  As an adult, I realize breakfast for dinner was my mother's way of getting around the problem of not getting to the store or forgetting to defrost something "better" for dinner.  For today, I am going to think about food the way I did when I was a kid.  Tonight we are having pancakes for dinner and there is no guilt or worry allowed.  Pass the syrup!

No comments:

Post a Comment