Thursday, March 13, 2014

How Ya Doin'?

Early in the process, my sister told me, "I give this vegetarian thing two months."  So, it has been two and a half months.  How is going?

Pretty well, thanks for asking.  I don't miss eating meat, though I confess I am thinking about hot dogs a lot.  Hot dogs were never an important part of my diet;  I only have a couple every year at summer barbeques but somehow the idea of never having a hot dog again is bothering me.  I don't even like hot dogs all that much and I never craved them before.  Maybe what I am really craving is warm weather.

We are eating out less.  Even with my hand surgery, we are cooking at home more and ordering less take-out.  That has to be a good thing if for no other reason we know what we are eating. We are spending more on groceries, even when you factor in the decreased spending on eating out.  I thought not buying meat would be less expensive but I am buying more ingredients per meal so the cost seems to be higher. I am doing better than before on not wasting food, having to throw things out because they spoiled before I got to use them.  Vegetable soup is a great place to throw all those leftover bits and pieces.

I have not lost any weight.  Well, maybe a couple of pounds, but my weight can bounce around in a window of about 10 pounds, so I should not make a judgement on this yet.  We are eating a lot more vegetables and a lot more variety of foods.  I do feel better.

I have temporarily quashed the simmering family rebellion.  When we do go out, Sarah and Matt get meat.  I promised to cook New England boiled dinner for St. Patrick's Day (which I never ate anyway - corned beef, bleh!) so I bought myself more time to come up with better dinner choices.  I really can't expect us to live on lentils.

Overall, I think things are going well.  Now, I need to find something to do with strawberries.  They were cheap so I bought 4 pounds.  What can you do with 4 pounds of strawberries?

No comments:

Post a Comment