Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Real Corinthian Leather

Way back in November, Matt and I decided to replace our family room couch.  Our old couch had survived 18 years and four moves and had seen better days.  We were ready for an upgrade.

The Green Monster
We chose a beautiful brown leather sofa that had to be imported from Norway.  So, all these months later, it finally arrived this weekend.  I was so excited.  As the delivery men brought it in, I realized it looked great with carpet and fit so nicely in the room.  Sarah had not been with us when we bought it, so I encouraged her to give it a try to see what she thought.  She sat down, announced it was very comfortable and very pretty, but then she noticed the one fatal flaw.

"Mom, if you are going vegetarian, how can you have a leather couch?  It's still a cow, right?"

I started to defend myself, to come up with some explanation - but...what if...except that...not exactly... - then I realized she was absolutely right.  I am a total hypocrite.

I confess I had not even thought of this.  How?  Maybe I just did not want to because I really wanted a leather couch.  How vegetarian do I want to be?  I know there are lots of people who not only forego meat and eggs, but also dairy and even honey.  How far is too far and how much is enough?  What is the difference between eating a dead cow and sitting on one?

The Prettiest Dead Cow Ever

I will think about that while I sit on my new couch.  It is awfully pretty, though, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment