Friday, March 21, 2014

Freaky Friday


Growing up, Fridays during Lent meant two things: tuna fish sandwich for lunch, pizza for dinner.  I went to Catholic school, so this was true of my friends too.  Church teaching dictated meatless meals, so we went with the least exotic choices imaginable.  I never thought anything was wrong with this.  I was just jealous when my friends got chips in their lunchboxes.

Now I have to stretch my concept of what meatless meals can mean.  How can I replace the traditional plate of meat & potatoes with something just as satisfying?  In another month, we will be out of soup and stew weather, and I am going to have to expand my menu.  I cooked vegetable lo mein last night, which went over well, and a pesto vegetable pie earlier in the week went fast.  I am hoping the grill will open up some new possiblities rather than make my family yearn for steak.

I guess if all else fails, I can always make some tuna fish sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment