Thursday, February 20, 2014

Two for Lunch

After several days of being trapped in the house by weather and my bum hand, Sarah and I needed a change of scenery.  Like any good mom-tween duo, we headed to the mall.  For Sarah, a shopping day is not complete without eating out.  Finding tasty, healthy food at the mall has always been a challenge. How would it go now?

We ate our first meal at P.F. Chang's.  What a delight!  The menu marked each of the vegetarian items with a prominent green symbol (I like to imagine it is the Chinese character for vegetable).  Lots of choices, though I was disappointed that there was not a vegetarian soup option.  I ordered spring rolls, vegetable dumplings and something call Buddha's Feast, which involved mixed vegetables and tofu.  I did not have to grill the waiter on ingredients, or have something special made, or do anything but just order and enjoy my meal.

On our next trip, we chose to have lunch at Ruby Tuesday.  Sarah was craving a hamburger (more on that tomorrow) and I thought there had to something on the menu I could work with.  I read the menu, then read it again, checked the specials, and then read the menu for a third time.  Nothing.  Not a single meal on the menu could be considered vegetarian.  I asked the waitress if I was missing anything.  She offered the salad bar or a veggie plate.  Now I love a good salad bar, and this one was fine, but it certainly was not a meal.  The Veggie Trio Combo is a combination of three side dishes - so my meal would consist of steam broccoli and french fries.  Bleh!  I invoked my "occasional fish" rule and ordered a crab cake and salad.  The crab cake was greasy.

Lesson learned - plan ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment